Friday 11 June 2010

Button Brained BRILLIANCE!

Today myself and my good friend Jodie decided that we hadn't quite had enough of college yet! We returned, once again, but this time under less stressful and strenuous working conditions. The incentive behind today's visit was to make use of the ceramics studio while we still could. Free resources have to be taken advantage of right? That's an artist's prerogative! And it's not like either of us has a kiln at home. So, college it was!
We'd both settled our minds on making terracotta buttons and set to it right away once we got to the workroom. I wasn't initially sure which shapes I was going to make, so I started with bog standard round and square ones of different sizes. Whilst Jodie and I were talking about the different things we could do with our buttons I looked down at my large round ones and, imagination buzzing away freely, saw a little face peering up at me. Instantly my 'Button Headed People' civilisation was born!
I've decided to make little people out of my buttons. The buttons will take place of their heads, the button holes their eyes, and I'll applique their bodies with different and appropriate fabrics. For instance I plan to make a little collection of Red Indian people. I'll make their clothes with fabrics, and give them feathered headdresses. I don't plan on giving them hands or feet, or even filling in the rest of their facial features. Simplicity is KEY! I think I will start with some pillowcases and tea towels and will see where this takes me.
I'm so excited to start this project...it's untrue!

No comments:

Post a Comment