Friday 4 June 2010

Easy come..easy go...

SO...today my fellow foundationers and I made another, and for some final, trip into college to take down our Final Major Project work. Before I did so I thought I'd take some photos of my work while it was up seeing as the setting showed my work off to it's best. I've got some sketchbooks to go with this lot so I'll scan bits in and such. My tutors have kept some bits though, so it'll be a few months until I get those back.
But for now here it is...


These are porcelain plaques. I made them to look almost like advertisements in an Apothecary shop. The designs are taken from the tins that I'd been drawing from and included in the show. They were created by screen printing onto leather-hard clay, and then firing after. The prints didn't transfer perfectly, but, after consideration I decided that this subtle and faded effect worked alongside my other work.
I displayed my aluminium and porcelain labels in and around one of the tins that I had previously used for my observational drawings. The contrast between the modern labels and the old and rusty tin was something that I doubted working before everything was set up. However, after arranging everything I saw that it worked well.
My alphabet of cork stamps are one of my favourite parts of my show. They were made simply but I think they've proven quite effective. I displayed them in a large and clear cookie jar to continue my Apothecary theme.These are my porcelain tablets. They all say medically themed words such as "pill" and "cure". To display them I encased them under a glass-topped cheese board.

1 comment: