Sunday 2 January 2011

I did an Arnie...I came back!

Well, I did it! I'm back for a second post this year.
So, what have I been up to since I last blogged? Well, I've completed my first term of University. I'm not sure if I mentioned it before (and I can't be bothered to check) but I'm doing Jewellery and Silversmithing (BA) at the Birmingham City University's School Of Jewellery. People often say "that's a bit masculine isn't it? Hitting hot things really hard and that?" and I reply "no, that's BLACKsmithing", jewellery isn't exactly glamorous though. As a result of last term I've had to do away with my fingernails, had metal infused into my fingers and clogging my hair, and have had the hands of a self-harmer. I think it's been pretty worth while though.


To start with I had my doubts as to whether I'd picked the right course or not. The first thing that we made was "a crown for a rat". Sounds cute does it? Well, I don't know any royal rats so I doubt that activity will get me any commissions in later life. So, my lack of royal rodent companions lead me to crowning a little cork man that I made over the summer:



Blogger doesn't seem to want to allow me to upload a picture of my other Cork Man, it's probably for the best, he has a rather sour attitude. Anyway, they're pretty cool aren't they? I made them with the leftover Cava corks I had from my 'Message In A Bottle' project and some clothes pins. I think the faces are what makes them cute though. Mono-Browed-Man is my favourite I think, but Shocked-Man got crowned. I'm going to have to make another post with a picture of Angry-Man and Crowned-Shocked-Man on.
READ ON!

No comments:

Post a Comment